Using My Books In The Classroom
Print this page
- Have students write out some of the things Jack did outside the ring.
Dance With Me
- Put on some music and have students create their own signature dance move.
- Create a poem made up of just sounds.
Hoop Kings & Hoop Queens
- Memorize a poem from either book.
I Am America
- Create a poem describing yourself by repeating the phrase “I Am...”
- Create a story as if you are the person in one of the photos.
Let’s Play Baseball & Let’s Play Basketball
- Tell a story from the point of view of something other than a person. For example: a basketball, a pencil, a pair of socks, etc.
- Pair students up. One student writes a poem about their friends and the other draws pictures or takes photographs for the poem.
- Have one student write an opening sentence for a story on a sheet of paper. Pass the paper around and each student adds a sentence to create a story.
- Write a list of excuses for not doing your homework.
- Write haikus inspired by the book.
Stars in The Shadows
- Have the classroom perform the whole book as a play. One or more students can read the play-by-play. A group of students can perform the commercials. One student can perform each “Fan in the Stands” monologue.
The Mighty 12
- Have students write what they learned about a particular god or goddess.
Twelve Rounds to Glory
- Have students write out Muhammad Ali’s life story as simply as possible.
- Students can select their own favorite quote, or one from the book and write a story based around the quote.
Print this page
If you need
to download the Acrobat (PDF) player, visit Adobe.com